5Ks and half marathons, may have become "old school'. Check out the latest trend in racing that stretches your body, belly and just about every other part of you!
1. Color Run: A 5K race which runners start out wearing white and end up completely doused in bright colored dust. Makes for lots of fun pictures!
2. The Krispy Kreme Challenge: Participants run 2.5 miles, eating a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, and THEN run another 2.5 miles to the finish line.
3. The Tough Mudder: This 10 to 12 mile obstacle course was designed by British Special Forces that tests your mental and physical limits.
4. The Spartan Race: Fire, water, barbed wire, and mud -- the Spartan Race's goal is to "rip competitors from their comfort zone."
5. Dirty Girl Run: An all-women's 5K run that features 12 obstacles and lots of mud.
6. Run for Your Lives: A 5K in which participants are "running for their lives" being chased by zombies. At the end runners can celebrate their survival at a festival with a DJ, live bands, food, and beer.
7. Cupid's Undie Run: Benefitting the Children's Tumor Foundation, this Valentine's Day weekend run takes place in over 30 cities worldwide. Just like the name, all competitors run in their undies.
8. Glow-in-the-Dark 5K Dance Party: This LivingSocial sponsored run, competitors rock a ton of glow-in-the-dark clothing, run around Citi Field, and rock out to music in the dark along the 5K route. Post-race, the event turns into a party with DJ, local entertainment, cash bar, and food.
9. Twinkie Run: Every April Fools' Day in Ann Arbor at Gallup Park, this 5K features Twinkies throughout the entire race.
10. The New York Hot Dog Challenge: A 2.5-mile run throughout Midtown Manhattan, runners stop at 10 predetermined food carts, purchase a hot dog, and eat it before moving to the next station.